The Industrial Biotechnology Innovation Centre (IBioIC) is inviting applications for industry-led collaborative research projects from bio-based businesses in Scotland or those that can deliver inward investment to help stimulate the Scottish economy.
The IB Prime Project Competition offers pump-prime funding of up to £50,000 towards academic costs on new and follow-on projects that focus on the innovative application of industrial biotechnology to address a real market need or commercial opportunity through collaborative knowledge exchange and research between industry members and at least one of Scotland’s higher education institution research teams.
To date, the IBioIC Industry Led Programme has supported more than 40 collaborative research projects with a total project value of over £11 million and an application success rate close to 50 per cent.
Projects should be aligned to achieving Scotland’s National Plan for Industrial Biotechnology and provide innovative solutions in one or more of the following key areas:
- Production of chemicals, intermediate chemicals, natural products and materials;
- Production of peptides and proteins, e.g. recombinant biologics, enzymes, antibiotics;
- Production of bioenergy and liquid or gaseous biofuels from sustainable biomass;
- Use of enzymes/biocatalysts for new product development/improved process;
- Cell factory construction and process physiology;
- New or improved downstream processing for use in IB applications; and
- Integrated bioprocessing for complete utilisation of raw materials and manufacture of co-products.
The closing date for applications is 31 October 2018. You can find more information on how to apply on the IBioIC website.