As anticipated, EP’s ENVI Committee approved the revisions of the Waste Framework Directive and the Packaging and Packaging Directive.
The measures approved:
- definition that includes bioplastic;
- mandatory separate collections. The amendment approved asks Member states to also encourage home composting. The Committee provides the possibility for Member States to not organize a separate collection (measure also valid for other waste streams) in sparsely populated areas;
- organic recycling: a specific definition, taken from the PPWD, is added and it includes both aerobic and anaerobic treatment
§ Recycling Targets:
- by 2025 60%
- by 2030, 70%
§ Bio-based packaging:
- Definition: the Committee approved a definition which confirms the one given by the European Committee for Standardization (CEN)
- Measures in favour of bio-based recyclable packaging and of biodegradable compostable packaging. Specifically, Member States can promote their use through the use of economic instruments, improving market conditions for such products or reviewing existing legislation hampering the use of those products
§ Oxo-degradable plastic packaging shall not be considered as biodegradable
§ Next steps in the legislative procedure: The proposals approved by the ENVI Committee will be put to a vote by the full House at the 13-16 March plenary session.