Two years after the first market study in bio-based polymers, German’s Nova Institute release the third edition including market study’s range and bio-based building blocks as precursors of bio-based polymers.
The report shows that although the lower prices of oils the demand for bio-polymers increases.
- Production capacity will triple from 5.7 million tones in 2014 to nearly 17 million tonnes in 2020.
- It shows 10% growth rate from 2012 to 2013 and 11% from 2013 to 2014.
- Bio-based drop-in PET and the new polymer PHA show the fastest rates of market growth.
- The 5.7 million tonnes bio-based production capacity represents approximately a 2% share of overall structural polymer production at 256 million tonnes in 2013.
- The bio-based polymer turnover was about € 11 billion worldwide in 2014 compared to € 10 billion in 2013.