Bioeconomy consultancy NNFCC is to provide innovation services to the new Horizon 2020 SuperBIO project, which aims to provide innovation services to SMEs to support the development of cross-border value chains within the bioeconomy.
It is doing this by providing funding of up to €60,000 for SMEs through innovation vouchers for support services (i.e. feedstock analysis, LCA, sustainability assessment, market appraisal, access to investors and IP assessment) to help the creation of a chosen value chain. The project is looking for SMEs ready to take part in the development of value chains through partnering with other stakeholders across Europe (feedstock, technology provider and/or end-user).
The €3.8 million project, supported through the EU Horizon2020 funding programme, supports the development of promising industrial value chains in the bioeconomy and engages with the EU bio-based business community. The project provides 10 different types of innovation services to third party SMEs which are funded by the project for 75 per cent. As such, it brings these value chains closer to reality. The SuperBIO consortium includes four industrial cluster organisations (from Belgium, France, Spain and Poland), and six service providers (from the UK, Germany and Belgium — including NNFCC).
The EU bioeconomy in general comprises those parts of the economy that use renewable biological resources from land and sea – such as crops, forests, fish, animals and micro-organisms – to produce food, materials, chemicals and energy. A flourishing bioeconomy offers multiple advantages for the EU in the global economy. It decreases dependence on oil-producing countries by displacing fossil resources, uses local feedstock, decreases greenhouse gas emissions, and enables job creation, economic growth and re-industrialization of the EU. It currently already employs more than 18 million people and represents a turnover of more than €2 trillion. This strong foundation means that Europe is well placed to grow and diversify its current bioeconomy. Innovation focusses on producing a larger variety of bio-based bulk or specialty products, using various types of feedstocks and introducing biobased products in new sectors.
To further innovate in the EU bioeconomy, new partnerships and connections need to be established between different sectors (e.g. between chemistry and agriculture, between producers and endusers). SuperBIO helps to build these connections by engaging with the wider bio-based business community. It supports cross sectorial and cross border industrial value chain building and provides innovation support services to SMEs.
Industrial stakeholders are invited to submit their idea for an innovative value chain to the SuperBIO project. The consortium ensures that their information will be treated confidential throughout the process. The combined expertise in the bio-based economy and skills of the consortium enable them to identify promising ideas for new innovative value chains. SuperBIO then supports cross sectorial and cross border development of the value chain of the selected ideas. Once a value chain is created SuperBIO analyses the gaps to be filled and further requirements to bring this value chain closer to the market. Based on this, SuperBIO offers selected innovation services to SMEs that are part of the value chain. Six services providers are included in the consortium offering a combined set of 10 different professional innovation services: scale-up and proof-of-concept, IP support, life cycle assessment, techno-economic evaluation, feedstock analysis, market research, sustainability advice, business planning, access to investors and grant writing. These services are funded by the project for 75 per cent, the remaining 25 per cent being covered by the SME receiving the service.
In short, SuperBIO offers a unique opportunity to bring innovative, sustainable, cross border and cross sectorial value chains closer to the market. The SuperBIO project aims to build at least 10 new value chains around innovative and promising ideas from the business community. In addition, SuperBIO will offer innovation services to at least 30 third party SMEs that are part of identified value chains.
For more information regarding the SuperBIO project and the scope of its innovation services, contact the project manager, the cluster organisation that covers your country, or visit the project’s website: www.h2020-superbio.eu.